Sunday, July 23, 2006

Stonehenge

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history. There lived a strange race of people...the Druids. No one knows who they were, or what they were doing...but their legacy remains...hewn into the living rock of Stonehenge..."
--Spinal Tap




Today I decided that in spite of the numerous recommendations I was given to skip Stonehenge, I couldn't just not get in my car and drive the 45 minutes that it would take to see this amazing spectacle. As far as world famous tourist sights go, this one didn't disappoint. I would put it in the Mount Rushmore/Golden Gate category rather than the Mona Lisa/Liberty Bell category for living up to the hype. As you drive in after miles and miles of open fields and suddenly see this huge rock structure surrounded by hundreds of people, it is impossible not to ask yourself the question: how did the aliens build this thing?

I should tell you that I was quite surprised by the misinformation of the audio tour. While I appreciated their honesty in admitting that nobody really has any clue how the stones got there, they seemed to be a bit delusional about the facts related to this matter. From listening to their propaganda, you would almost think they believed those "myths" about ancient civilizations putting up this monument as some sort of calendar designed for pagan worship. Personally, I think that the "Merlin the Magician" hypothesis holds more credibility. Now I'm not saying that it isn't possible that some Precambrian society learned how to use the Force analogous to Yoda lifting Luke's spaceship out of the Degoba swamp in "Empire Strikes Back." However, I just don't feel that there is enough archeological evidence to support this kind of hypothesis. Let me offer you exhibit A: multiple cow pastures within a few hundred feet of the "slaughter stone." Clearly the aliens who landed here in Europe were relatives (or maybe even the same group) that touched down on Square Butte nearly 5 thousand years ago. Evidence would suggest that they probably used a slightly different type of spacecraft--the trench surrounding the rock structure implies a more conventional "flying saucer" design than the one employed in Montana.

Now I don't want you to get the wrong idea about things. It's not like I'm running around in my flat wearing a Jedi Cloak and wielding a light saber...well, I'm not carrying a light saber....It's just that I think we know enough from documented experiences of UFO sightings and even personal encounters with extra-terrestrials, that to propose any other explanation for this structure seems a little ridiculous. The real question is why they chose this part of England to stage their next invasion, and when do they plan to return? It is likely that we'll never know the answers to these mysteries.

1 comment:

persis said...

Why not Salisbury when the concept of UFOs is totally alien to the English? But apparently not fried Mars bars, go figure.