Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Hostel


(6-24-06)


I arrived late in Budapest and didn't make it over to the hostel until nearly 1 am. My worries about missing the curfew were quickly relieved when I walked in the door and realized that the party was just getting started at Hostel Marco Polo. There were dozens of sketchy looking travelers like myself from all over the world hanging out in the street outside. I checked in and headed up the elevator to the fourth floor where Sam was already unpacking in our room. The accommodations were actually quite good, apart from the fact that there was no air conditioning and it was as hot as an oven. Nevertheless, I can't imagine paying a Forent more to stay in any hotel in the city, since this one was equipped with a private bathroom! Despite the traveling and late arrival, I found that I was so amped to be on the continent that there was no way I was going to be able to sleep. Therefore, Sam and I set out for the city, where a nearby Pagan Summer Solstice festival was attracting a crowd of young people to the Magyar Nemzeti art museum. Out in the courtyard of the museum, people were gathered around watching some performers juggle fire. I looked at Sam and said, "I can't believe we're in Europe watching some dudes throwing around fire at a pagan festival." It was unbelievable. After getting our fill of the gymnastics and fire-eating performers, we grabbed some ice cream at the local coffee shop and headed back to the hostel.

No comments: