Wednesday, December 27, 2006

DJ in the USA

"As I write this I'm thinking how my time there may just end up being the best years of my life, in a way. I wouldn't trade what's going on now and I'll never go back (I prefer to remember it the way it was) but it was sweet. If my life now is like a good meatloaf sandwich - solid, wholesome productive and satisfying - life then was a plum - sweet, good for you in a different way, and gone in 5 minutes."
--Paul Bollyky, MD



My closest medical school friend sent me that email about a month after I arrived in Oxford, and even then I could tell that when the time finally came for me to come home again it was going to be a dramatic change. When I set foot on American soil for the first time in Logan Airport, I wasn't struck so much by how Boston had changed as I was how I had changed as a result of leaving everything behind for six months. I could fill several volumes with the impact the experience has had on me both personally and professionally. It is almost like I'm a different person.

I could go on explaining what it feels like to be home again, but I know that I don't have to because anyone who's reading this has experienced exactly what that bittersweet emotion is like. Maybe it was after you left home for the first time to head off for college. Maybe it was after losing a loved one who had lived a long and good life. Maybe it was after reaching the final episode of Band of Brothers and listening to Major Winters talk about the heroes he served with in the 101st. Or maybe it was after moving on from a relationship that had lasted longer than most. Or for those of you who actually made it to page 1018, maybe it sounds something like this:

At last the three companions turned away, and never again looking back they rode slowly homewards; and they spoke no word to one another until they came back to the Shire, but each had great comfort in his friends on the long grey road.

At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.

He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m back,’ he said.


And with that I conclude my career as a blogger. With the return of American cell phone service, the busy schedule of surgical residency, and the private nature of my major life decisions that are about to take place with the interview season approaching, I will have to return to the old school approach to keeping in touch. If anything truly earth shattering takes place, I'll try to post it on www.myspace.com/davidlyle. Until then, I'll look forward to chatting with you all in person!

No comments: