Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cinque Terre

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."
--Psalm 19:1



After taking in the tower, we boarded a train for Europe's ultimate back door--Cinque Terre. This group of five towns hovers on the cliffs overlooking the blue waters of the Ligurian sea just south of Portofino. Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore--you have to see them to believe them. As was once reported in the LA Times: "The Cinque Terre is one of those places people tend to read about once and then dream about forever." I still haven't woken up from the dream. It was in one of these tiny villages that I really got to experience my first dose of Italian cuisine. Unsure of what to order, I recalled my brother's preference for Gnocci every time we ate in Little Italy after his travels in Europe. Let me tell you that Amicci's will never even come close to the real thing, baby. Our 2 days in the Italian riviera were probably as close to heaven as I've been in this life, but they were over in a flash.

No comments: